Thursday 3 May 2012

If all else fails, become a translator!


These past few months, with the recession crippling the entire continent, I’ve been asked countless times by friends and acquaintances whether I could “help them find a job as a translator”, since their sector has been hit hard by the recession and I “always seem to be buried in work”.

Let me start off by saying that I’m not one of those people who think you need a university degree to make it in life. I also believe that a degree in translation or languages is not necessarily a must to become a translator. I know of many excellent translators whose studies had nothing to do with languages, but their passion and drive got them where they are today. Nevertheless, personally, I’m sure I did benefit from my translation studies. I was taught all about complex grammatical issues, tricky spelling, syntax and phonetics, but I also discovered how to tackle research, how to easily write structured texts, how to summarise, how to deal with stress, tight deadlines and criticism… the list goes on and on. In a nutshell, I was introduced to the basic principles, and that was the best foundation to build upon. During my first few months “in the real world”, I learned more than during my four years at university, but without the basic concepts, it would’ve taken me much longer to get used to the exhausting pace that has now become my reality.

The thing that annoys me immensely, is that translation is considered an easy way to get rich quickly. Where did that idea come from? Many Maltese flocked to Brussels after the rock joined the EU to “make big money”. None of them had a degree in translation. In fact, I’m not even sure whether the University of Malta even had a translation department when the rock became an EU Member State. I know some of these “translators” personally, and I don’t doubt that over the years, they’ve become good at what they do, but the one thing that distinguishes me from them, is that I am passionate about what I do, and I followed my heart, not the euro banknotes. And I’m quite sure that the institutions know where the real translators are, because most of their publications (magazines, brochures, posters, websites etc.) are outsourced. Why would they do that if their own in-house translators were so brilliant? No, it has nothing to do with volume or lack of resources. It’s a matter of quality. I can vouch for that.

Let’s be realistic for a minute. As a translator, you can make a decent living, but it’s not easy money. It’s late nights, stress and fatigue in a highly competitive sector where one bad day can cost you your entire career. If you’re in it for the money, you’ll fail. And more importantly, if you think that anyone can become a translator – “I know how to read and write, don’t I?” – you couldn’t be more wrong. We’re not human versions of Google Translate. A translation requires an effort that goes beyond typing a word in a search engine or dictionary. You need to know your client and your audience. You need to explore the cultural context behind your assignment. You need to be able to carry out focused research in the limited timeframe you have at your disposal. Translation is a combination of skill, dedication, patience, time management and experience.

The last word of the previous paragraph is key. Experience. Of course, you have to start somewhere. Prove that you have what it takes. Tricky, because many agencies refuse to give graduates a chance. The only advice I can give you, is keep trying if you’re convinced this is what you want to do, and if you have a feeling you might be good at it. Eventually your efforts will pay off. Someone, somewhere will notice your talent. But if you’re just looking for an alternative to unemployment, please look elsewhere. Unfortunately this sector is hardly regulated, so anyone can claim to be a translator, but only the good ones survive.  

Leave translation to the pros! 

11 comments:

  1. If you were a writer, and someone asked you to "help them find a job in writing", you'd just laugh. People accept the fact that you need to have a talent to write, but not so when comes to translation. Why? I'm bothered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agree! I've had people think that if they'd buy some software and learn how to use it, they could become translators in a matter of days. Well, that might work for an incredibly talented person, and indeed you have to start somewhere. But most of the time it would lead to horrendous translations of people who don't even spell check their own text, like the one I proofread last week. A kid would have done a better job. I don't think you need a degree in translation to become a translator either, but you have to be well aware that it's not an easy job - and not one that'll make you rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you separate your subjects from your predicates with commas? It's wrong even in case of long noun phrases, but you just really seem to use any excuse to commit that horror. Please look into the rules of punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      That kind of comma only occurs about three times in this text as far as I can see — what a flagrant generalization. And even if you have a point, why make it so rudely? Posting this kind of condescending message anonymously has cowardice written all over it. If you want to patronize people, do it to their face. Please look into the rules of netiquette and general courtesy.

      Respectfully,

      Mick

      Delete
  4. Rather than necessarily have a degree in translation, a practical qualification like the Diploma in Translation is a great base to build on. And the best translators do not just accumulate experience, they reflect on it and use it to get better and better. If I look back four years to when I started (armed with Diploma), the improvements in my knowledge (of tools, current usage and text genres, for example) are massive.
    By the way, the person hiding behind their anonymity this morning is right up to a point (I'm afraid I found 3 such minor errors).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passion is still the best motivator. If you don't have passion in what you do, you'll never achieve greatness nor will the money that comes in be worth anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An easy way to get rich... quickly!!!! I just wish this is the case. This career- I think- is one of the hardest careers, yet people think that it's just a matter or typing and looking up words in the dictionary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teri Sprackland10 May 2012 at 04:23

    Get rich quick? How ridiculous. Teri Sprackland

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I don't agree with is the statement that the EU institutions outsource because they know where realtranslators are. So very wrong - they outsource because of their financial policy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello :)

    I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction; where can a translator get certified in Malta?

    Many thanks
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete